Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Advent Calendar, Again

So, I hate to keep doing reposts. BUT, my mom got me an advent calendar this year.



And I was about to start a new blog post about how this is getting a bit ridiculous seeing as how I’m in my twenties and I can’t make her stop, but then I remembered I posted the exact same thing last year around the same time. And it was way funnier than anything I was thinking of making this year. Here’s the post again. Don’t judge me.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

So, I love my mom:


But she’s a bit nutty. She’s real big on holidays, which is awesome. But she has a bit of trouble letting go of some traditions, even though I’ve clearly outgrown them.




She's good at guilt.
Yeah. So I shouldn’t have been surprised when she presented me with this:




 For those of you who don’t know, an advent calendar counts down til Christmas, with a chocolate in the shape of something Christmassy for each day. So yeah. Boyfriend thinks it’s funny. Or sad. Not sure.

 So yeah, I have an advent calendar. I figured I might as well keep it at this point.

I'm funny, damnit.
Anyway, so cut to Sunday, where this texting happened between me and Boyfriend:

Boyfriend: How’s the advent calendar going?
Me: It’s day two of this delicious advent chocolate
Boyfriend: Is there a Jesus thing in there too?
Me: No silly. It’s dark chocolate and jesus was white.
Boyfriend: My bad.

I opened up day two of the chocolates, and it was a horseshoe. Um, what?


Me: Today’s chocolate is a horseshoe! What does that have to do with Christmas?
Boyfriend: Everything if you think about it.
Me: …?
Boyfriend: Horseshoes are all about being lucky and believing in magic
Me: Santa magic?
Boyfriend: Like that.







11 comments:

  1. That's awesome. My grandma got me the chocolate advent calendars long into my 20's - long after Jesus left the building for me. I never minded, but I stopped eating the terrible tasting chocolates inside after a while. I was just happy she thought enough to send stuff to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pardon me for recycling my comment from the first time you posted this:
    Oh my god, I'm on fire! Why am I still typing! This is really stupid, I should stop, drop, and roll! Aaaaaa, oh no, my eyebrows! Now I'll have to tattoo on new ones like some disgusting aging starlet! Someone call the fire department! Here's my num...

    That was a weird time in my life. Don't worry, like Richard Pryor, I survived being on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hoot! I never saw one with chocolates before. Now I bought an eAdvent Calendar for my son's step kids and it's so cool I got one for me. Games, puzzles, coolest graphics. And I'm 53. There's no hope for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post totally reminds me of this: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mblv35cgNv1rr3p4mo1_500.png

    Although, I am 23, and I finally got an advent calendar this year for the first time. I can not turn down daily chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember potted up on weed. That phrase amused me for weeks. If I gave Easter eggs or an Advent calendar to The Hurricane, she would ask me what in the fuck is wrong with me.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year we got my 5 yr old the greatest advent calendar ever. Each day you opened a new tiny lego set that assembled into something Christmasy or wintery. It was awesome. Maybe you should ask your mom to get you one like that next year. Or maybe a wine one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend is 43 and her mom still hides her Easter basket. Just giving you a glimpse into your future where your mother will never stop! Unless you provide her grandchildren. I think that's the magical key.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad for both reposts because I don't remember either of them! Native American Gia is pretty adorable, and Santa Gia is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was I the only Christian child who never got an Advent Calendar? OR potted up on weed? Man, I had the worst childhood ever. I want a redo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I guess this means we are all Jewish during Hanukkah? Works for me as the food is great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Advent calendars are the best. I have a realllll fancy one this year, it's the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning x

    ReplyDelete