Friday, April 6, 2012

Good things! And bad things. But Mostly Good Things!

Hi all! I have big news. As the title states, it’s mostly good with a little bad, but really good.



I FOUND AN APARTMENT!

Remember when I said it was impossible to find an apartment near work and Boyfriend that was affordable and not totally ghetto!?  And I got totally depressed about apartment hunting? Well, I was wrong! I found a great one that is more expensive than my current apartment but just this side of affordable.

The bad: I can’t have a cat there. :( I’m going to have to settle for “playing” with the feral cats at work and watching Too Cute of animalplanet. (Seriously, have you seen it? SQUEEEE.)




But I’m trying to remember that I might be slightly allergic to cats and that their poo can make you crazy. And as Boyfriend has lovingly pointed out, can I really afford to get crazier?


Also, you guys were really helpful on twitter when I explained my predicament (cat vs apartment?):


The good: It’s an adorable little one bedroom apartment on top of a store in a cute town by work. Yay!


-- It’s at least ten minutes closer to Boyfriend – now he’ll be passing me on the way to/from work, instead of going out of his way to get to my place.

Instead of like this:

It’ll be like this:


I know ten minutes might not seem like a ton, but when Boyfriend is the only one doing the commute 2-3 times a week (half the time late at night), it adds up. Also, when he tells me that sometimes he almost falls asleep when driving, I spend a half hour after he leaves neurotically worrying that he’s crashing somewhere. Not fun. Would feel much better if he were a bit closer and the distance were shorter. Also, if he would let me talk to him on the phone until he got home to make sure he stays awake. But alas, he claims, “But talking to you makes me sleepy!”

-- It’s across from a tavern AND a starbucks.



-- NO ROOMMATES. No one texting me while I’m still sleeping Saturday morning asking if I can pick her up from some house party and drop her off at her car. Or drunk eating my food. Or leaving a mess in the kitchen. Or… you get the picture.  

Honestly, I’m really looking forward to the alone time. Both the “alone by myself” time and “alone with Boyfriend and no roommate to start blow drying her hair when we’re watching a movie together.”
I move at the end of May, and I am SUPER excited.




[Linking up with Just Jennifer!]

36 comments:

  1. Congrats! No roommate harshing your mellow and more boyfriend to fill your wine IV when the bag gets low. Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. Congratulations! Hopefully all your appliances work at this new place and your landlord is cool. Don't make the mistake I did and be a recluse, immediately knock on neighbors' doors. That way it's easier when they're being loud assholes to politely ask them to keep it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news! I'm glad you were able to find a place you love! You know...I'm really happy with my life...but sometimes I fantasize about living alone in a cute little one-bedroom apartment in an interesting part of town. I have a feeling I'd be a really cool person if I lived in a cute little one-bedroom apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hurray! That's the best news ever. So happy for you :-)...! Thanks for letting us know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yey, for you!!! Just having a place to yourself is worth the move. Having boyfriend's route expedited is a bonus. I am a little sad about the NO KITTY rule, but as I am not a Cat-Lady-In-The-Making, housing trumps cats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new digs! You're gonna love it.
    Myself, I'm getting ready to move out of my 1 br apartment into Roger's house on 15 acres! Squeeeeeee!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad for you! (Sorry about the cat thing, though...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having an apartment above a store sounds pretty awesome. Like something out of a movie, that's so cool.......unless it's a sex shop or something creppy .Good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds awesome! I'm not much of a cat person but I'd have a hard time having to leave my dog (it would be almost impossible). Hopefully you find a good home for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Sounds like the perfect apartment. And living alone is my favorite thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the new place. Living alone is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best thing about a lack of roommates? Dancing around naked in your own apartment, without being judged or secretly videotaped.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! Congrats on getting your own place. :) That's terrific news--except for the sad cat part.

    ReplyDelete
  14. congrats!! Will be amazing not be annoyed by house mates and 10 minutes closer....and closer to coffeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  15. What awesome news to hear for today! Congrats! :D

    (And sorry about the kitties...)

    -Barb the French Bean

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great way to start the weekend Gia - congrats! I've fantasized about having my own place in town, walking everywhere, visiting the outdoor market - sigh. I love living with Hubs but sometimes it would be cool to have some ME time alone. And I'm sorry you can't have a cat there but the no cat regurgitation is a PLUS in my book! Get your animal fix by volunteering at a local shelter. You might have to help with clean up there too but you can hug and pet to your heart's delight and then go home to a clean apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats! I am ready to rent an apartment just for like, an hour a day. Just to get some "alone time."

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the new place (which is much more important than a cat... you can still live vicariously through other people's cats.) But there's nothing like having a roommate-less place of your own!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The new apartment sounds great - but I would be on the side of Kitty, I'm afraid as I am mad-cat-woman! Glad Boyfriend will be nearer too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. haha Stuff...booze...yup, you're good to go! Congrats! And PS: I totally think it would be a big decision cat versus appartment. I don't think I would have been any help in your decision. I'd be all, "But the cat is so cute" and "But the boyfriend is so cute!" See. No help at all. I'm glad your twitter friends were so decisive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats! I love reading your blog btw.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats! I agree with all the ridiculously awesome tweet responses.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congraaaaaaaaaaaattttttssss!!!! So excited for you. The good definitely outweighs the bad, I tell you.

    And I'm so jealous! I want to have a place of my own, too. Sadly, I can't leave my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on finding a place!! You're going to absolutely love it. And seriously. No cat is a good thing. Take this as biblical advice from the girl who has 4.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's great. The minor gods heard my prayers. Yes, child, I prayed for you. This is all my doing...and the minor gods played a part in it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. thats good that you found a place that's affordable and nice near Boyfriend and work.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tip: 1. get roadie from tavern
    2. Take to starbucks
    3. Combine booze with coffee.

    Scratch that.
    Just go to the tavern. Cheap coffee tastes just fine when it is full of bourbon.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on the apartment! I can relate to your search - when I was in my 20's (er, yesterday?), I moved away from a horrible roommate. The search for a decent apartment that I could afford was an oxymoron. So, I first looked for an apartment that I could afford - I would never have been able to close my eyes at night because then all the criminals would have taken that very opportunity to rob me. So, then I looked for a decent apartment - found one and worked at least two jobs to afford it. But, I was safe, yes! Love the idea of you living above a store - sounds safe and fun. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations! Finally! I am happy for you and love the map. I agree with Brandon...you can dance naked now.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well done! Its good to get your own place...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yay! Congrats! I take it you don't already have a cat you have to give up for this apartment. At least there's that. Thanks for linking up too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Not being a cat person, it's a no-contest for me. Congrats at getting an apartment with locationlocationlocation. It means a lot for quality of life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats!!! Instead of getting a kitty, now, since you won't have roomies, you can hang kitty posters and pics all over the place. You can decorate everything kitty so it will FEEL like you have a kitty without actually having one. And you can leave stuffed kitties anywhere you want so that it will seem like stuffed kitty is a real kitty since it keeps getting moved. AND you can talk to a stuffed kitty without being overheard by roomies who might think thats weird. Really, it is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete